The Not-So-Sexy Infertility Adventures of a Girl in the Big Apple

Monday, February 27, 2012

Beta Results

Holy crap, first beta is 516!!!

My nurse first told me that she had great news for me, and that I was pregnant.  Then she said "Are you ready to be a mother to twins?"  O.M.G.   To tell you the truth, I don't know if I am!  I am of course thrilled to be pregnant, and would far prefer this outcome to not being pregnant, but...whoa.

If you recall I had the conversation with Dr. S about transferring only one but he was so adamant about transferring two that I caved.  Why didn't I listen to my gut?

Sorry guys, I don't mean to sound less than overjoyed, it's just that my head is spinning!  To go from not being able to get pregnant forever to twins in one fell swoop kinda blows your mind.  I guess it's also still possible that we may end up with one - we won't know for sure until the first u/s on March 14th.

Thanks to all of you ladies for the support, and for everyone who came back to me with advice on OB's. I think I'm going to try to get an appointment at an experienced MFM practice, where I may ultimately want to deliver.  And and OB who has experience with multiples!!

OMG, I just got a dizzy spell writing that...I'm going to go lie down and try to process this news!

21 comments:

  1. I knew by the looks of that line! That is a huge beta - I thought mine was big! But I know what you mean, I am so thrilled to be pregnant, but terrified of the risks that come with potential twins and carrying twins. Good luck!!! Do you have a repeat beta?

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations!! not surprised b/c your hpt was so dark! wonderful news! one step at a time - don't freak yourself out. just keep repeating to yourself : This is Good. This is Very Good.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing number! I'm thinking that you have two in there :)
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand your reservations :). So happy for you though

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. And hey, you have heaps of time to prepare for twins, so all will be well! How exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is one amazing beta for 14DPO. I am not surprised at all that it may be twins. Your pee sticks were super dark, quite early on. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG is right! That is great news Newbie! There are some risks to twins, but the vast majority are healthy :) So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! What a great beta number! Hope all continues to go well until the ultrasound! Very exciting news!

    ReplyDelete
  9. two for one, two for one! yes overwhelming but you will get used to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations confirmed! And about the twin thing, I'm still in shock and absolutely terrified. I'm just having faith that it will be ok because that's all I can do. It will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!!!! OMG, I would be over the moon!!!! Twins are awesome!!!! My friend has twins and it's just incredible how they play and how the girl absolutely loves her brother, it's just so sweet to watch. OMG, congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great first beta! My first beta was 582 & I was convinced it was twins! First US only showed one! Try to stay calm until the first ultrasound! This is great news & I know you'll be able to handle either one or two! Oh, and I would totally not go back to the bitchy OB, you need to feel comfortable with your doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!! So happy for you!! And you really don't know if it's multiples based on beta numbers... they vary so much. Time will tell. Take a deep breath and enjoy the moment! You are pregnant!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. congrats. dr g eas my re at ccrm and my first beta was 559 and second was 1600 = twins born 4 weeks ago. i was and am freaked about twins but you'll wrap your head around it if need be!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh i'm thrilled for you. I've been following you along but never commented. We will be getting our beta on Friday. I hope that we'll get some good news like you did today.

    Congratulations! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wowza!!!! That's super awesome Newbie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what an awesome beta!!! Definitely sounds like twin range. Can't wait to hear about your first u/s!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm pretty new to reading over here, but want to add my CONGRATULATIONS to the mix! Can't wait to hear about your u/s. Praying for an easy pregnancy, an uncomplicated delivery, and healthy babies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HOORAY! Gosh, I can't even put into words how happy I am for you!!! I can't wait to find out if it's twins! Girl, you are so pregnant! ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know how nerve wracking it must be, but once you find out (for sure) if it is twins you will deal with it just fine.

    By the way I am a twin and I love it. You always have a best mate around.

    ReplyDelete